Thursday, August 19, 2010

Read on...!

Hey!
I hope everyone is enjoying their week! I have so far!
Today I had a great opportunity to do a favorite task on my list...#14 which involved me Reading a book from my childhood. 
This might sound kind of boring. Yes? No? However, I don't think so!
Every now and then I have these flashbacks of books that I read when I was younger, and I love reminding myself of the amazing assortments of books and stories I was read by my parents, and such that, gave me the idea to add that onto my list. My Dad is the same way! Just today actually, he was talking to me about one of his favorite writers that he read to me frequently as a child, and that was Richard Scarry. It was nice to be reminded of being a kid again. :)
Back to today though!...
I was lucky enough to visit the famous Powell's Book Store in OR. I learned today that is (probably) the largest used and new book store in the US! Wow! And large it is! But amazing too! If you ever get the chance to check out Portland, go there!
Anyway, I decided to look through some of their children's books. It brought back memories, and a few tears. (yes tears, haha)
One of my favorite childhood stories is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I remember one of the first times I read the book...it was with my grandma and all I remember is crying at the end because I loved how sweet it was. (at 4 years old?! hahaha, however, it still does) I decided to pick it up once again today and read it. And, of course, I cried in the end. I love The Giving Tree because it is a kind story that shows the stages of life and what happens in life as we get older. It reminds me that life is short, but full of love and care. 
I am glad I picked up that book today. It feels good to remember a part of my childhood. I suggest the next time you are at a book store or library, you do the same. :)
Happy reading!
anya

No comments:

Post a Comment